You and your fellow interplanetary travelers have thought of a new idea that is a potential GOLD MINE – to sell extreme holidays to other planets in the solar system!
No one out there is doing it yet, so if you can be the first to succeed, YOU ARE GUARANTEED TO BE RICH!!!
Before you can start selling the destination (and raking in the bucks!), you will need to make a poster to advertise it to potential extreme travel buffs!
So, you and your interplanetary crew will need to go on a Web Quest to find out all the information that someone who would like to go there will need:
The first step will be to collect information about your planet. To get you started, here are some questions (but if you are going to sell it well, you will need to find more):
- What is your planet made of?
- What is the air like on your planet?
- How far is your planet from earth?
- How far is your planet from the sun?
- Does your planet have moons or rings?
- How long is one year on your planet?
- Some useful sites you may want to look at Wikipedia, NASA, Nine Planets
- Make sure you double check any information you get from Wikipedia from another source such as a different web site or a book in our class library.
Next you are to take this information and prepare a slideshow to advertise your planet as a potential holiday destination. Your slides should include:
- The name of your planet
- An advertising pitch – e.g. “Come to Pluto – The last planet in the whole Solar System” (okay.. that’s a bit lame – I know you can do better!)
- Observations about your planet
- A chart which outlines the numerical facts (e.g. distances, number of moons)
- Pictures of your planet
- WARNING: DO NOT COPY AND PASTE CHUNKS OF TEXT ! – People who are looking for a holiday do not want to read big slabs of information!
- Learning Intention: To communicate scientific ideas in different ways.
- Context: A slideshow, advertising the features of a planet in our solar system.
- Success Criteria: All questions from the list are answered. All features from the list are included. You have at least 5 slides in your slideshow.
- Deadline: Friday 7th June (just over two weeks from now, earth time!)